Saturday, June 8, 2013

Earring Display/Storage (Pinterest)

 I have a ton of earrings and needed a cute way to display them. So of course I searched Pinterest and found a few different options. The most common stud earring displays were frames with lace in them, or just sticking the earrings into a fabric covered bulletin board. While they are cute, I needed a lot of storage, and those were for people with just a few earrings.
 
Then I stumbled across this idea, which I made into my own.
What this crafty gal did was take a shoe box lid, spray paint it and wrap pencils in felt. Then she places the earrings inside!
 
Here's my twist with steps:
I bought a cigar box from Jo-ann removed the hardware and lid and spray painted it with 2 coats of black, sanding inbetween, and a clear coat. Between the coats I cut the wooden dowels just a little bit smaller than a perfect fit. Then I folded a sheet of felt in fourths, placed the dowel on top and cut off the excess. Then I cut the sheet of felt in half. Then I put hot glue on the length of the dowel, wrapped the felt and secured with more hot glue.
 
Then after the clear coat dried I stuck in the wooden dowels and started to arrange my earrings!
 
SO cute and took about an hour!!!
 
 
 
Because of how shallow the box was I just used 1/2 thick dowels.
 
I am going to make another one, (to store all of my big studs and duplicate earrings... what can I say Forever 21 make way too many cute earrings) but I am going to keep the lid attached so that I can stack (or lean) the finished tray on top!
 
 
 

6 comments:

  1. Great idea! Are you putting the post earrings in with or without their backs?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do leave the backs on. Through trial and error it works best to leave them on, even better if you use plastic backs.

      Delete
  2. So cool and convenient! Wished someone would sell something like this online.😅

    ReplyDelete
  3. Eliminating the air concept is extremely important, since oxygen is metal's enemy.

    I keep each metal earring secure in an airtight Ziploc bag.

    Today, each Nordstrom Store bought earring set appears shiny and brand new. (I purchased many of them in the late 1980's and early 1990's)

    Since I wear classic styles, these earrings are still popular today!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, this is exactly what I was looking for...it takes me forever to search through the container of earrings for the ones I'm looking for...I'm off work today, so project here I come.

    ReplyDelete